Criminal cases are the most complicated ones because it involves a lot of investigation and hard work from the police, legal system and the lawyers involved. There is no escape from law when an individual is charged with a criminal case. However, hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer Toronto can help in getting the right judgment and fair trial. A defense lawyer can act as a representative of the client so that the individual can have the best say during the court sessions. During the process and before a Toronto criminal lawyer will perform certain duties that are essential for the client.
- Interaction with the client – For a process to begin in legal cases it is imperative that the client meet the lawyer. This will help the lawyer to understand about the situation and the client to understand the effectiveness of the lawyer. If there are any queries about the case or concealed issues, the first interaction is the best time to reveal them. In addition, the lawyer tries to be as transparent as possible about the situation of the client, chances in the court and explains all the possible outcomes.
- Management of the case – Perhaps the most important duty of a criminal defense lawyer Toronto is case management. In a criminal case there would be hefty paper work, demonstrations, investigations, talking with many people, gathering intelligence, etc. Time management becomes crucial for a lawyer as he or she might be taking several cases at a time. Associates from the firm or assistants are a great help to the criminal lawyer in ensuring all the aspects are covered. In this way a criminal lawyer takes care of every case without missing any details and stay up-to-date with the help of own research and associates.
- Preparation of the case – If management is about external issues that take time of the lawyer, preparation for a particular criminal case will ask for the intelligence of the lawyer. As a criminal case demands more out of the legal system and everyone involved, the lawyer has to work hard to cope with the expectation. The preparation should always start from scratch and will be based on the reports presented by the police. However, the lawyer will try to find out new facts that are not found in the investigation so that he or she can prepare a strong case in support of the client. Reach out our lawyers through Facebook or Twitter to understand how they prepare for the case.
- Negotiation – If every criminal case in Canada goes to the court then there will be years of pending cases for the judges to solve. Negotiation between two parties will help to achieve beneficial circumstances to both parties. A Toronto criminal lawyer is mandatory to take of the negotiations under full acceptance of the client. Sometimes, negotiation terms might include a plea bargain which decreases the charges on the individual.
- Trial – If one or both the parties are not willing to accept a negotiation, then the lawyer has to prepare for the trial. Attracting the jury, presentation of evidence, solid proofs, cross-examinations, defending the client, etc. are the major duties of a criminal defense lawyer Toronto during the trial.
These are the major duties of a criminal lawyer and there are many other duties that will help the individual pressed with criminal charges.